- Joining SANGOTeCH
- Browse Products
- Learning and Support
- Register Now!
Windows MultiPoint Server 2012 Premium Edition
Donor PartnerLanguage Media Solution Category Platform Microsoft Title Group
Windows MultiPoint Server 2012 is a shared computing operating system that allows multiple users to simultaneously share one "host" computer. Each user station provides an independent Windows desktop environment and consists of a monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to a station hub. The station hub connects to the host computer through USB or video cables and uses the host computer's processing capabilities.
This donation includes one Windows MultiPoint Server 2012 Premium Edition server license, which supports up to 20 simultaneously connected user stations.
Benefits for Organisations
You can use Windows MultiPoint Server to:
- Set up and maintain a computer lab, classroom, or other collaborative environment without server administration experience or a dedicated IT staff
- Save energy, simplify maintenance, and lower expenses by operating a shared computing environment
- Connect aging desktops, laptops, or thin clients as additional user stations by connecting them to the host computer using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) over a local area network (LAN)
- Centralized administration: The MultiPoint Manager application allows administrators to set up and manage Windows MultiPoint Server user stations. Administrators can create accounts for an unlimited number of users, who can access their customized desktop and settings by logging in to any user station.
- User monitoring: The MultiPoint Dashboard application allows nonadministrators, such as classroom instructors or computer lab staff, to monitor and interact with user stations. Dashboard users can view user activity, block users, limit web access, and project their desktop activities to all users. They can also open chat sessions with users and take control of a user's desktop to provide hands-on assistance.
- System restoration: Disk Protection protects the host computer by discarding changes made during user sessions and restoring the host computer to a "last known good state" after reboot.
- Shared software: Software programs installed on the host computer can be accessed from any user station, without separately installing the software for each user. (Note that Microsoft Office and other Microsoft programs require a separate license for each user station in a Windows MultiPoint Server environment. Other software manufacturers may have their own licensing requirements for shared computing environments.)
- Desktop virtualization: Administrators can create Windows 7 or Windows 8 client virtual machines to map to MultiPoint stations. These virtual machines can run software that might not be compatible with a 64-bit server operating system.
- Active Directory support: Windows MultiPoint Server can join an Active Directory domain and also participate in Group Policy and other domain functions.
Windows MultiPoint Server is a special version of the Windows Server operating system. Each user station that connects to Windows MultiPoint Server must have two types of client access licenses (CALs), which are not included with this donation:
- Windows MultiPoint Server device CAL
- Windows Server device CAL
These two CALs are available through SANGOTeCH separately or as a single donation (CAL pack for one station). If the host computer is used as a user station and not just for administration, it requires both types of CALs as well.
MultiPoint Server user CALs, as opposed to device CALs, are not available through SANGOTeCH. This kind of licensing would be more costly in a typical MultiPoint Server setup than licensing per device. For example, a setup with 10 user stations would require just 10 device CALs for any number of users. If licensed per user, the same setup would require each user to have a separate license.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, SANGOTeCH will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- SANGOTeCH will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
For host computer running Remote Desktop Session Host desktops:
- Dual-core x64 processor for up to four lightly loaded stations; one additional core or thread required for each two stations above four
- 2 GB RAM for MultiPoint Server; 512 MB RAM for each station
- 20 GB available hard-disk space
For host computer running virtual machine–based virtual desktops (full Windows 7 / 8 instances):
- Processor: one-half core per virtual machine
- 2 GB RAM for MultiPoint Server; 2 GB RAM for each virtual machine
- 100 GB available hard-disk space for host; 5 GB for each virtual machine
- DirectX 11 graphics display adapter
For each station:
- Monitor attached to corresponding video output, USB hub with attached keyboard and mouse, or thin/zero client
Actual requirements depend on system configuration, applications and features that are installed, and number of connected stations